Click here to apply - June 1, 2016 when the application opens.
The AHIMA Foundation is proud to support those who have served our country through our Veterans Scholarship program, an endowed scholarship. We seek to develop the next generation of health informatics and information management (HIIM) professionals by helping our men and women in uniform move on to a bright new future and career in healthcare. Get started now by reading the criteria below outlining how to qualify for the scholarship!
Intent and Eligibility
The program is designed to provide financial assistance for:
- Veteran Military Service Members from the U.S. Armed Forces: Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, Reserves and National Guard.
- Spouses of Veteran Service Members, including surviving spouses
To be eligible, individuals must be:
- Accepted into an accredited Health Informatics and Information Management (HIIM) program in the United States, and
- Enrolled as a full-time student in one of the following degree-granting programs at the time of award (see the Application and Award Timeline for specific dates):
- Have at least six (6) credit hours remaining after October 2016.
- Submit a completed online application all of its components.
Application and Award Timeline
Online Application Opens: June 1, 2016
Online Application Closes: July 31, 2016
Award Notification: August 29, 2016
The selected recipient will be expected to attend the AHIMA annual meeting in Baltimore, MD to receive the award and be formally welcomed into the AHIMA family. The recipient's travel expenses and three-nights hotel stay will be provided.
- Candidates will prepare and submit a 250-400 word essay, cannot exceed 400 words, to include discussion of the following topics:
- Educational and career ambitions
- Record of military service
- Record of personal achievement
- Demonstration of community service
- Desire to continue to serve others and make a positive community impact
- Leadership potential
- Selection Preference will be given to:
- Physically wounded or disabled veterans
- Surviving spouses
- Those who served in a combat tour of duty
Each eligible application will be reviewed by a committee. Applications must provide the following materials:
Two signed letters of support
- At least one should be from a Health Information educator, employer, or military superior
- The other may be a personal reference
- Verification of Enrollment
- Formal letter of acceptance and class schedule and/or
- Official transcript from previous semester, if applicable
- Other documentation
- Copy of certificate of release of discharge from Active Duty (DD214) must include dates and locations served
- Spouses of Active Duty or Veteran Service Members
- Copy of marriage certificate
- Copy of proof of spouse's current active duty status or certificate of release of discharge from Active Duty (DD214). Must include dates and locations served.
Scholarship Support: Giving Back to the Future of the Profession
Your gift matters. Corporations, CSAs, AHIMA members (including former scholarship recipients), and other individuals are all encouraged to support student merit scholarships. This can be accomplished through donations to the Veterans Scholarship (payment options for funding the scholarships are flexible), an endowed scholarship. Acknowledgment of scholarship support comes in many forms: on the AHIMA Foundation website, in certain AHIMA Foundation and AHIMA electronic and mailed publications, and in select AHIMA convention materials. Donating to an AHIMA Foundation scholarship becomes a win-win situation, by supporting the HIM professionals of the future while extending company name recognition or honoring loved ones.
All donations to new and/or established endowment funds contribute to
the principal. Endowments retain the principal of the fund and all the
investment interest is used for scholarship award(s) To find out more about options to support the AHIMA Foundation with a charitable contribution, please click here or contact Becky Holton at (312) 233-1445 or firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.