Academic Faculty Resources
Visit this page for the latest updates on the AHIMA Foundation's education resources, projects, awards and publications.
Academic Advisor published bi-monthly exclusively for educators. Includes educator updates, classroom tools and tips, scholarship opportunities, annual symposium information, and updates from the Council for Excellence in Education. Subscribe to Academic Advisor (AHIMA members only)
Assembly on Education and Faculty Development Institute (AOE/FDI) Symposium
AOE/FDI Symposium is the premier conference for health information educators and the primary forum for leadership in health information management education held annually in July. All full-time, part-time, and adjunct faculty are encouraged to attend. The Faculty Development Institute, a one-day conference prior to AOE, focuses on helping new faculty refine their classroom management and teaching skills.
- Date: July 18- July 22, 2015
- Location: JW Marriot Hotel, Austin, TX
- AOE/FDI Call for Abstracts
- Submission Open: November 19, 2014
- Submission Deadline: January 23, 2015
- Abstract submission now closed.
To learn more about this year's AOE/FDI symposium visit www.ahima.org/events under domain healthcare leadership and innovation.
CourseShare is an exclusive online destination for HIM educators promoting excellence in teaching by providing free learning materials such as lectures, instructor's note, quizzes and other resources that make exceptional teaching possible. All items are cross-referenced and indexed to make it easy to find a learning packet to help with a particular topic, and are peer reviewed to ensure quality and relevance.
Anyone can contribute to CourseShare, by submitting materials for the peer-review acceptance process. Only active academic educators in a CAHIIM accredited program or one that in candidacy for accreditation can download the learning materials. You will need an AHIMA ID to access the online resources. Educators who are AHIMA members obtain access to CourseShare by e-mailing email@example.com with their member identification number and their program director's verification of their faculty status.
Engage Community for Educators
A private academic community is found in the AHIMA Engage website. The AOE community, is a large online community, with more than 1,600 members. The community is where educators can start discussion threads and share resources. To join the private academic community, please have your program director contact firstname.lastname@example.org and ask for new faculty to be added. Go to engage.ahima.org to login into the community.
Educators can discuss concerns or obtain clarification on academic issues, please contact email@example.com to set-up an appointment.
Faculty Development Regional Meetings
These face-to-face meetings exclusively for educators (full-time, part-time, or adjunct) will focus on data analysis, concentrating on database and reporting concepts, along with information governance, as well as providing networking opportunities.
- May 14-15, 2015, Tacoma Community College, Tacoma, WA, Register here.
- June 4 -5, 2015, Miami Dade College, Miami, FL, Register here.
- June 10-11, 2015, Villa Milano Banquet & Conference Center, Columbus, OH, in conjunction with OHIMA, Register here.
- June 18 - 19, 2015, Delaware Technical Community College, Wilmington, DE, Register here.
- June 25 - 26, 2015, St,. Catherine University, Minneapolis, MN, Register here.
To learn more about the Faculty Development Regional Meetings visit www.ahima.org/events under domain healthcare leadership and innovation.
Peer Reviewer Training
Are you interested in becoming a peer reviewer? The AHIMA Foundation is hosting a Peer Reviewer Training program for current reviewers looking to refresh their skills and new professionals interested in becoming a reviewer for scholarly journals. The two-hour training is being held during the Assembly on Education Symposium (AOE) and will train reviewers on assessing the quality of articles submitted for publications using specific standards and tools. The session will also cover steps in critiquing a research article, helpful tips for writing recommendations, and practice in critiquing a research article.
The training provides an excellent foundation on components and criteria of a well-written articles and what reviewers look for when critiquing your work.
- Sunday, July 19, 2015, 4:00 - 6:00 PM, Austin, TX, JW Marriot Hotel
- Register: If you are attending AOE and would like to join this session, please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Professional Practice Experience (PPE)
Bridging the gap from student to employee is difficult to do. To assist Health Information Management (HIM) students with this important transition, the PPE workgroup (composed of House of Delegate members and educators from the CEE) has developed a comprehensive guide for students, programs, and affiliation sites that outline the process for HIM students to have meaningful exposure to the HIM practice environment. This typically involves the student being assigned to a site for a set period of time in order to blend theory (what is learned in the classroom) with practice (real world application). Credentialed HIM practitioners are encouraged to help their college programs with finding PPE sites for HIM students.
Professional Practice Experience Guide
Unpaid Intern Fact Sheet
To learn more about being a Professional Practice Site Manager or how to
volunteer your organization as a PPE site see the AHIMA website here.
Webinars for Educators and Faculty
Webinars series for educators, offering an introduction to AHIMA and the AHIMA Foundation's academic services and resources, teaching tips, and current information on the HIM profession. Register below.
- January 28, 2015, 3:00PM -4:00 PM (CT), Student Resources, Listen to the recording in CourseShare.
- February 25, 2015, 2:30PM -4:00PM (CT), Database Management using SQL and Microsoft, Listen to the recording in CourseShare.
- March 16, 2015, 11:00 AM - Noon (CT), The Educator's Role in the Apprenticeship Program, Listen to the recording in CourseShare
- March 24, 2015, 2:30PM - 4:00PM (CT), Integrating Data Analytics into Curriculum - Hands on is Right On!, Listen to the recording in CourseShare
- April 29, 2015, 2:30PM - 4:00PM (CT), Exam Item Writing, Listen to the recording in CourseShare
For those unable to attend, a recording will be available in CourseShare.